The Waskom of Chamber of Commerce and the Greater Marshall Chamber of Commerce welcomed Interstate 20 visitors at “Welcome to Texas Rally Day” in the Texas Travel Center in Waskom, Texas, on May 26, 2017. Free food was offered to travelers, courtesy of local businesses and community. The event was sponsored by The City of Waskom, Waskom Police Department and Burger King of Waskom.
Harrison County Commissioner William Hatfield, Waskom Police Department Chief Westy Meisenheimer and other members of the Waskom Chamber of Commerce participated in the event.
The staff of Texas Travel Center in Waskom, Texas graciously offered their immaculate state-of-the-art facilities for the event, promoting tourism at the Gateway of Texas.
Waskom, Texas is a friendly, robust community, with an impressive standing world record for formerly having the most gas stations per capita within the city, along the famous Hwy. 80 Route, that ultimately becomes Route 66, spanning across America.
Representatives from the two Chambers of Commerce provided a party environment, greeting people traveling West on Interstate-20, the new pathway to the Pacific ocean, just over the Louisiana state line, with an estimated 88,000 crossings per day.
Folks from all over the United States stopped by for tourist information, maps, refreshments, restrooms, food, photo-ops, souvenirs and gifts.
The Waskom – Texas Travel Information Center provides the following:
- TxDOT travel literature, including the Texas State Travel Guide, Texas Official Travel Map, Texas Public Campgrounds and Texas Events Calendar
- Additional travel literature, including maps, pamphlets, booklets and brochures from local and statewide destinations, points of interest, special events, lodging and restaurants
- Free wireless Internet access
- Video theater for Texas attractions and destinations
- 24-hour security surveillance
- 24-hour restrooms
- “Welcome to Texas” photo opportunities
- Covered picnic tables and group facilities
- Handicap accessible
Texas is leading the nation in families relocating here for work, education, churches and family events. According to the Office of the State Demographer, in 2016, a Texas-bound wave of 63,388 Californians left the Golden State to migrate to “The Lone Star State”.
These impressive statistics give even more credence to the Waskom and Marshall Chambers of Commerce, inviting people across the nation and from all over the world, fellow Texans and travelers to make themselves at home!